Top Social

fashion & lifestyle blog inspired by the modern bohemian

Spring in Philly

1/22/2014
Last spring, I had the opportunity to visit Philadelphia for a few days for a work trade show. I'd never been to the city of cheesesteaks and "brotherly love", but I was blown away by the beautiful architecture and landscapes.

The last few days, the Toronto area has been hit by another round of the frigid polar vortex and I am welcoming spring with open arms. Only being an hour flight from Toronto (which was STILL covered in slush and dirty snow mid-April), I couldn't believe the contrast. Streets were lined with cherry blossom trees and tulips, the Reading Terminal Market was bustling, Walnut Street had FANTASTIC shopping, and Midtown Village 13th Street was full of unique boutiques, restos, and gelato joints.


Philadelphia City Hall



How beautiful are these trees though? If I had it my way, my future house would be surrounded by these (and they would blossom all year long).


The Philadelphia Museum of Art. Also known as the infamous stairs Rocky ran up.



The man himself!


The Reading Terminal Market. If you want cheesesteak, you will find any and every kind here.






A VERY happy spring-weather selfie in my floral print Free People blazer jacket.


Free People's home base is in Philly. So naturally, of COURSE I had to visit one of my favourite stores in the city that inspires it.


I'm sure you've seen the LOVE sculpture before, probably in New York City or Indiana. I never realized these are created by an artist Robert Indiana inspired by the 1960's "hippie free love" movement. Fun fact of the day!



We had dinner at Morimoto Restaurant. The top rated chef has a modern asian-infused menu, the sushi was mind-blowingly good (and so was their chocolate pot de creme dessert).


Swanky, right? Visit Morimoto HERE.


Just flipping back through these photos has me seriously lusting for the beginning of spring and blossoming trees. Even though it was just for a short business trip, I absolutely loved my few days in Philly. Hope to visit again soon!

Lots of love,

MAC

16 comments on "Spring in Philly"
  1. Looks like the city has so much to offer, I'd love to visit. Loving your blog.

    Krissie - http://pearlsofstyle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Krissie! Yes it was very beautiful, wish I had more time to explore more but that just means I'll have to re-visit soon :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures and beautiful lady! Did you see the Liberty Bell?! Philly is on my must visit list for 2014 for sure!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Stephanie you're always so sweet. No I didn't get a chance to see the Liberty Bell when I went, I had a list of must-sees and only accomplished several, must go back! xo

      Delete
  3. hi pretty! I've nominated you for the liebster award! take a look at my blogpost!
    http://thestylegerm.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-liebster-award.html
    ♡ stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Philadelphia and have yet to see all the great landmarks, view the beautiful cherry blossoms, or tasted legit Philly Cheesesteak. Just the wannabe little sister "Cali Cheesesteak" (advertised as Philly Cheesesteak, of course).

    For your entertainment, a list of LOVE sculptures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Love_sculptures

    My goodness, that restaurant looks huge and there are so many tables it makes me dizzy. Are those glowing seats? I'm amazed and overwhelmed at the same time. There's this little Japanese restaurant I go to and it's actually quite cozy; there's only 6 tables. :P

    And I agree with Stephanie up there. You look beautiful. :)

    Sincerely, Christine from Invisible Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow haha the LOVE sculptures are a lot more common than I thought! Amazing, thanks for sharing!

      And yes, Morimoto's was decently sized for such a unique restaurant. The booths do glow and change colours throughout your meal! I walked in and felt like I was in some sort of futuristic ship. Thanks Christine for commenting!

      Delete
  5. Love the photos and you look gorgeous!

    www.lamechic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thanks so much Sarah!

      Delete
  6. Your photos are lovely! I've just posted a new blog about traveling around the East Coast - we nearly went to Philly! Now it almost feels like we did, it looks fab :)

    Look forward to reading your future posts! I am a brand new blogger so would love to welcome to you my blog, too!

    http://thriftyfirecracker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by to comment, Alice! Definitely going to check out your travels too :)

      Delete
  7. It looks like you had a great trip Mac! I can't believe how pretty those trees are... goodness, Spring needs to be here already! Also, I loved your Free People blazer, you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa that's so sweet! I know, the tree-lined streets were probably my favourite part of Philly haha, cannot wait for spring weather!

      Delete
  8. I used to live in PA and loved visiting Philly. You seemed to have had a blast and hit up everything I would've recommended (and more--I'll have to check out Morimoto if I ever chance by there again).

    Brittney

    anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I want to visit Philly- mainly because of the cheesesteaks haha, but also because of the beautiful scenery that you've shown!

    ReplyDelete